At Settlebeck School the safety, health, wellbeing and welfare of our students is paramount.
We are committed to ensuring our students thrive in a safe and supportive environment where effective safeguarding procedures and regard for equity are underpinned by our school value. We aim to ensure that students learn about personal safety within the curriculum and that a safeguarding culture is central to all that we do.
We take pride in ensuring that our robust policies and procedures are regularly reviewed and consistently implemented, as we strive to maintain a strong safeguarding ethos and culture.
Our Safeguarding Commitment
- Establish a culture where students are able to talk and feel listened to.
- Ensure all our students know they have someone they can trust and talk to in school.
- Ensure that where concerns are raised, they are taken seriously and acted upon promptly.
- Support our families to access support within school and with external agencies.
- Maintain the robust safer recruitment procedures for all staff appointments.
Prevent is about safeguarding and supporting those vulnerable to radicalisation. Prevent is 1 of the 4 elements of CONTEST, the Government’s counter-terrorism strategy. It aims to stop people becoming terrorists or supporting terrorism.
Operation Encompass in Cumbria
Our school is part of Operation Encompass.
Operation Encompass is a national police and education early intervention safeguarding partnership which supports children and young people who experience Domestic Violence and Abuse and which is in place in every police force in England and Wales.
Children were recognised as victims of domestic abuse in their own right in the 2021 Domestic Abuse Act.
Operation Encompass means that the police will share information with our school about all police attended Domestic Abuse incidents which involve any of our children PRIOR to the start of the next school day.